Mold & Your Health

Like all organisms, moisture is essential for mold to live and grow. Common causes of water intrusion include, water and/or sewer pipe damage, damaged roof or improperly installed shingles, severe weather such as tornados or floods, improper grading around the property, and rotten wood. If your home has experienced any of these, chances are mold will not be far behind.

Mold grows best at room temperature, so your house is a perfect place for mold to thrive and flourish. You could see suspicious spots on your walls, ceilings, floors, or in your crawlspace that change color, shape or grow in size over time. You may also notice a musty smell indicating that mold could be present. Mold can grow on many surfaces including: tile, carpet, grout, sheet rock, wood, paint, plaster, and fabric. Although molds often originate in one area, spores can spread through the rest of your home. Mold spores that are set adrift in your home will find an appropriate place to live and grow, like bathrooms and kitchens, which contain adequate food and moisture.

 

Health Concerns

Some people are sensitive to molds. For these people, exposure to molds can cause symptoms such as nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing, or skin irritation. Some people, such as those with serious allergies to molds, may have more severe reactions. Severe reactions may occur to those exposed to large amounts of molds, causing reactions may include fever and shortness of breath. Some people with chronic lung illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease, may develop mold infections in their lungs.

“Black Mold” is not a species or specific type of mold, nor is “Toxic Mold”. Sometimes the news media uses these terms to refer to molds that may produce mycotoxins or for one mold species, Stachybotrys Chartarum. The known health effects from exposure to Stachybotrys are similar to other common molds, but have been inconclusively associated with more severe health effects in some people.

Stachybotrys has been considered a contributing factor in allergies, asthma, and bronchitis. The Center For Disease Control claims that this type of mold is linked to deaths from respiratory bleeding, and it is linked to various lung disorders as well. Certainly anyone with an illness affecting their immune system would need to be wary.  

You cannot identify the type of mold in your home with a photograph or with the naked eye, since most molds look very similar. The only way to tell for sure what type of mold you are dealing with is to have your property tested. Remember!. It's the types of mold and the amounts that you inhale that matters.  Small amounts of certain types of molds can be extremely harmful!

 



Contact Us:  918-970-6606